By David Shillington, Director of Business Development & Government Relations |
WADE Canada
In response to Environment Canada’s August 19, 2011 News Release:
Canada's Environment Minister Announces Important Step Towards Reducing Electricity Sector Emissions


NEWS RELEASE

WADE Canada Supports GHG Reduction by Elimination of Centralized Dirty Coal

Calgary, AB (August 25, 2011). The Canadian chapter of the World Alliance for Decentralized Energy (WADE Canada) is pleased that the Government of Canada continues to move forward on a phased approach to GHG reductions by tackling traditional coal generated electricity.
 
“The Government of Canada is moving forward with regulations for the coal-fired electricity sector,” said Environment Minister Peter Kent on August 19, 2011. The proposed regulations are part of a sector-by-sector approach, introduced by the government last summer, which will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

With this announcement, the Government of Canada has taken its first steps in attempting to reach their target to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 17 per cent from 2005 levels by 2020. Although the proposed regulations will apply a stringent performance standard, the federal government must also include in its strategy, alternative energy solutions besides coal generated electricity.

“It is essential that Decentralized Energy is part of the energy solution for Canada,” says Jan Buijk, President and CEO of EPS Ltd. and Chair of WADE Canada. “DE offers a much more efficient and nimble power alternative that has the added benefit of reduced greenhouse gas emissions. When coupled with energy efficiency and conservation strategies such as improved building envelop, waste heat recovery, energy management systems, energy storage and smart grid technology, the energy production costs are very competitive with traditional power generation.”

Opponents to this move suggest that these regulations would add costs to the consumer and that new technologies are too expensive or unproven.  While it is clear that eliminating the worst of the high emissions coal power from our existing generation capacity will require new cleaner options to be quickly developed, decentralized clean energy options are already affordable and readily available. “In fact, using DE generation to meet further demand will save us nearly 10% on our electricity bills”, says Buijk. 

Industry across Canada has already recognized the advantages of DE. Between 1996 and 2006, while GHG emissions were decreased, oil sands production within the same time frame increased by 100%. It is also estimated that 80% of the decreased GHG emissions “resulted from the conversion from carbon intensive coal generation electricity to natural gas electricity.” The remaining 20% was a “direct result from increased efficiency through onsite cogeneration.” In 1999, due to Alberta’s deregulation of the power industry, producers were able to switch from centralized coal-fired thermal generation to natural gas fired cogeneration.

WADE Canada is engaging world leaders in the clean energy dialogue by hosting the Global Clean Energy Congress in Calgary later this year.  This event will be the venue for building a practical and comprehensive energy strategy that balances the supply and demand challenges, along with the environmental and economic considerations.

ABOUT WADE CANADA

Created by industry for industry, WADE Canada is the country’s leading capacity builder for clean and decentralized energy (DE) integration for our energy supply mix. WADE Canada is a registered, national, non-profit industry association which supports growth and development of the DE industry. Our vision is a sustainable energy future where affordable, efficient, reliable and clean DE technologies are deployed in community driven markets and enabled by progressive policies and legislation. For more information on WADE Canada, please visit www.wadecanada.ca.

WADE Canada is co-organiser of the Global Clean Energy Congress being held in Calgary, Alberta, November 1-3, 2011. For more information about this event, please visit www.globalcleanenergycongress.com

For more information regarding this announcement, please contact:

Clare McWilliams
Director, Communications
WADE Canada
(438) 380 7594
cmcwilliams@wadecanada.ca

 

(none)
Follow Us On